BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Questions regarding charging and driving 530e G31 (2022)

06-19-2022, 10:16 AM   #1
triphyss
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e xDrive Touring (G31)

Questions regarding charging and driving 530e G31 (2022)

Hi,

I bought a new 530e Touring (2022) in April and it's my first hybrid/electric car and I have some questions which I can't seem to find an answer to.

First of all, when I got the car it was fully charged 100% and the drivable electric distance said 53km which is as advertised. Since then we had a couple of cold weeks and when charged 100% it rarely showed over 30km distance. The issue is that since then I have rarely at all had it show over 30km when charged 100% which seems weird as it should be around 50km distance when charged fully.

The weather has been everything from colder, warm to really warm but still only showing 50km on a couple of rare occasions. Why is this? Is something wrong with the car or am I doing something wrong?

My next question is, most of the time i'm running the car on "battery control" to charge the battery while driving. Is there any downsides with this? Will it use more fuel for example? Since I don't really see why I should drive any other mode if not.

Also, when driving in hybrid or electric mode, will it also charge the battery while releasing the throttle/breaking?

Hope I made sense and thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2022, 03:00 PM   #2
SonD
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 545e (Finally :-) )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-FWQ4_hEZA&t=21s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eM7SWLQYjVM

The correlation between cold and warm on batteries you have already noticed.
If you can 'Pre Condition' before departure you will obtain maximum battery range as well.
Yes, it does re-generate.
Inputting your destination also really helps with maximising range, as car knows when to use electric / engine.
In some modes it will tell you to take foot off brake when coming to a turn to allow re-generation, and slows car to correct speed for cornering.
Yes, using the engine to charge the battery is obviously impacting the fuel consumption, learning the different modes will help on your decision on how best you like it and how eficient it is for you.

Last edited by SonD; 06-19-2022 at 03:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2022, 03:58 PM   #3
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Battery control is a very inefficient way to charge the batteries. You are best off only using it if you are going to be in a no ICE zone or you need to save electrons to remotely run the AC or heat. Otherwise, drive in auto or pure electric mode. Then charge when you get home.
Appreciate 1
      06-20-2022, 06:07 PM   #4
NOSNOW
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BWM 530E

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
Battery control is a very inefficient way to charge the batteries. You are best off only using it if you are going to be in a no ICE zone or you need to save electrons to remotely run the AC or heat. Otherwise, drive in auto or pure electric mode. Then charge when you get home.
Or another use for Battery control would be if you know the return trip would use the electric more efficient. My old commute was 26 miles each way. In the morning there was little to no traffic, but on the way home it was normally stop and go. I would save 50% of the battery for the trip home, which improved my mileages.

On a different note - I have changed jobs 3 weeks ago, and now I have a 6 miles commute each way. So now I use less than half the charge each day for commuting.
Appreciate 0