BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-10-2022, 12:12 AM   #1
kgelfen360
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Power Supply and Increase steering effort errors

Over last couple of months I have randomly been getting same error codes at the same time
One will say Power Supply and another will say Increase steering effort. Errors always come together and I cannot tell any specific condition that triggers it. They go away after some time of driving usually within few minutes and I don't notice any effect on the vehicle at all.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-11-2022, 10:59 AM   #2
timmahh
ghey
United_States
Rep
Drives: Viertürigen Fahrzeugs

I've not seen increased steering effort, but I've already had mine in for the "power supply" issue. They replaced belts and tensioners and it still comes back.

Here's what I notice:
1) It rarely (basically never) occurs in city driving
2) It will occur after long batches of highway driving at consistently high speeds (70-80mph perhaps)
3) It occurs as soon as you let off the gas, when regenerative braking kicks in
4) It disappears within a few seconds

When it happened last year I finally got an engine code to stay long enough to read it. It noted something about the belt between the electric assist unit and engine is sheared/torn.

I was nervous about driving home 500 miles the next day, but of course the code was gone and the car said everything was fine.

Took it to BMW, showed them the screenshots of the error and they went through the fix but.. it still comes up on road trips. Not sure if there is actually an issue or not, but it certainly takes away a bit of confidence in the reliability when I am driving friends or family and they think my car is about to explode.
      08-12-2022, 04:11 PM   #3
kgelfen360
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Thanks for the reply!

Yea I am taking in next week hoping they will look into.

I haven't not been able to figure out when it comes on like specific condition. But for me for sure it's been actually within few minutes from my house rather then long distance drives.

I agree a bit concerning when bunch of errors come on and go away.
Appreciate 0