E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Hail Damage/Paint Repair

View Poll Results: Plan of action...?
Hit up my "good neighbor" for repair costs 0 0%
Pay out-of-pocket 2 40.00%
Ignore damage 0 0%
"Rodney King" it with bat, collect ins. $, buy 335, Audi/Merc/Fini drvrs=inferiority complexes 3 60.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

05-03-2009, 06:47 PM   #1
GeauxChadE90
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 Black/Terra 325i Sport

Hail Damage/Paint Repair

Just wanted to get a feeler for the costs any of yall that have incurred as a result of hail damage. We had a good storm roll through today and there was quarter-size hail beating at my car. The winds were strong and it looks like it most likely just got all of the top surfaces and the passenger side. I went out during the storm to try and cover it with towels, and (like an idiot) got peppered so bad I went running back in the garage, haha. I haven't had time to really assess the extent of the damage, so I can't comment on it as of yet.

How much do you think this would cost to repair out-of-pocket? I am a little over 50k miles in my '06 e90 and have some normal wear-and-tear (digs, dents and chips) on the hood and bumper regardless. I am trying to decide if it is worth the $500 deductible to go through the pain of filing a claim, or if I should just have someone do it out of pocket. It would be nice to get that black sapphire sparkling like new again!

Also, do they normally replace the damaged panels entirely, or just try to fix/fill the dents and repaint?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2009, 06:50 PM   #2
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything with Wheels

Ouch, sorry to hear. That sucks.

Take it to your local PDR (paintless dent repair) shop - should be one around you. Have them take a look and get an estimate, then you can decide if it's worth paying for out of pocket. PDR places do some great work, and you won't have to get the car repainted or anything.

X7 LCI // Incoming
C7 ZR1 ZTK // Sebring + TRX // Hydro + Raptor Gen1 Roush // Tuxedo
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2009, 06:56 PM   #3
blue2fire
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeauxChadE90 View Post
Just wanted to get a feeler for the costs any of yall that have incurred as a result of hail damage. We had a good storm roll through today and there was quarter-size hail beating at my car. The winds were strong and it looks like it most likely just got all of the top surfaces and the passenger side. I went out during the storm to try and cover it with towels, and (like an idiot) got peppered so bad I went running back in the garage, haha. I haven't had time to really assess the extent of the damage, so I can't comment on it as of yet.
Wow, sorry to hear that. I was about to do such a thing when my mom stopped me. Thank god for Female common sense.

BMW CCA
Member #420568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Murray View Post
Being a fan of Honda engines, I requested that they consider building for the F1 a 4.5 liter V10 or V12. I asked, I tried to persuade them, but in the end could not convince them to do it, and the McLaren F1 ended up with a BMW engine.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2009, 07:08 PM   #4
GeauxChadE90
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 Black/Terra 325i Sport

If it were me or the car, someone would be getting a nice CPO e90 from my estate, haha
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2009, 12:17 PM   #5
nikku
Detailing Nerd
Canada
Rep
Drives: Infiniti G35

I know a friend of mine was hit with a lot of hail damage. I believe it cost her approximately $2500 to fix. I believe it was a combination of filling and paintless dent repair.

Cheers,
Nick
      05-04-2009, 06:01 PM   #6
LOW2000
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 00 Silverado 08 G35S 62 CJ5

Typically since the hail doesn't usually damage the paint, PDR is all that we use to fix the car and it gets estimated by the size of the dents and the number of dents per sq ft on average. I could give you a ballpark idea if I had some pictures or a description (dime sized, nickel sized, quarter sized, etc)

ETA: Infiniti FTW
Appreciate 0