E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Diesel Tuning box on ebay

06-02-2009, 06:57 AM   #1
webby318dEMS
Spider powered!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 318d Edition M Sport saloon

Diesel Tuning box on ebay

I was browsing on ebay earlier (as you do!) and came across the tuning box as detailed in the link below.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...%3DI%26otn%3D2

Part of me thinks this is an absolute bargain, and I should snap one up; but I'm also a bit suspicious as they seem too cheap when other companies charge £3-400.

Has anyone bought one of these of know anyone who has, and can give me any feedback good or bad?
The feedback on ebay is top notch, but I'm more interested in how the box performs rather than how good they are at posting things out quickly.
      06-02-2009, 08:39 AM   #2
R80TER
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e90 320D ED

Garage List
if something looks too good to be true, it normally is. I can't see how it can produce the figures claimed without changing the ignition mapping. all it will do connecting there is surely up the fuel pressure?

buy one and stick it on the dyno. if it does give you 25% BHP increase i will have one!

my money is on, 0bhp increase.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2009, 09:06 AM   #3
webby318dEMS
Spider powered!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 318d Edition M Sport saloon

Know what you're saying R80TER, but if you read the feedback, they all say about how the performance is greatly improved.

Have to say I'm quite tempted still!
      06-02-2009, 11:37 AM   #4
R80TER
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e90 320D ED

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by webby318dEMS View Post
Know what you're saying R80TER, but if you read the feedback, they all say about how the performance is greatly improved.

Have to say I'm quite tempted still!
forum guinea pig??
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2009, 11:51 AM   #5
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Ask ABSYS he has some experience with tuning boxes - maybe he can explain if this unit does work or not?!
      06-02-2009, 11:58 AM   #6
Andrew@DTUK
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2011 Valencia Orange 1M

My only experience with these cheap boxes is that they're not the most reliable, i also run a Nissan Navara and lots of the guys over on www.nissan-navara.net were running similar systems, but after a while they started to either lose power or have issues.

Also, if you change your car you wont be able to port the box over to a different marque.

Im not saying these systems dont work, but im a great believer that you only get what you pay for, in the mean time if i can help feel free to drop me a pm

Andrew
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2009, 04:08 PM   #7
Ti Rich
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S D

Quote:
Originally Posted by R80TER View Post
if something looks too good to be true, it normally is. I can't see how it can produce the figures claimed without changing the ignition mapping. all it will do connecting there is surely up the fuel pressure?
There is no ignition mapping on a diesel. More fuel in = more boost = more power ( in a round about way)

All tuning boxes (well almost) work by increasing the fuel rail pressure. it's a proven (but crude) way to more power on diesels. 25% increase in power is very possible but may be low down and not at the top end rpm.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2009, 09:57 PM   #8
q_jonblaze
Captain
Rep
Drives: e93

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABYSSDTE View Post
My only experience with these cheap boxes is that they're not the most reliable, i also run a Nissan Navara and lots of the guys over on www.nissan-navara.net were running similar systems, but after a while they started to either lose power or have issues.

Also, if you change your car you wont be able to port the box over to a different marque.

Im not saying these systems dont work, but im a great believer that you only get what you pay for, in the mean time if i can help feel free to drop me a pm

Andrew
not to this thread but i also had a look one one of the navara forums when i was researching a tuning box to buy and i eventually went with the racechip.de pro box......

was wondering what your views on this box are...i personally like and the reviews i read from the navara boys among others were very positive....i find the box gives a nice increase in power but i cna not say how much though....
only thing i realised with it is that because i have set the chip to its highest levels(well almost...one more click on the tourquee increase side), the car sort of gives a small jerk(more like an eager push) that only the driver can feel when you tap the accelerator after having taken your foot of it for a second or two on the m'way.

any input is appreciated....
Appreciate 0