E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Front Strut Bent $1000 to fix???

11-23-2010, 05:50 PM   #1
cbtruckin
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 328XI Alpine White

Front Strut Bent $1000 to fix???

Hi,

Took my 2010 328xi non sport to the dealer for alignment. They said the front right strut was bent and not alignable. (Pulling to the left and steering wheel cocked a little right) They quoted me $1000 which inlcudes new strut and housing (Not sure why I need the housing or exactly what that is) and new alignment. Alignment runs $180 and I don't know what their hourly rate is or how long it will take.

I looked on Tichers website to find out the price of the strut and it's $225.

I found an indy shop here in Kansas city (Autopia). Their system was down but said they get their parts from the dealer and $100 hourly rate and $100-150 for alignment. So I'mw waiting for them to call back in the morning.

I think I'm going up to the dealer tomorrow for him to show me the bent strut and see if there's any discount I can get.

Is this excessive for a strut replacement and anything I could ask for to get a discount. Can I use covered maintenance, probably not?

My wife figures she MAY HAVE hit a metal plate in the road or something. Are these cars that soft or did it really hit hard?

Thanks,
Corey
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2010, 06:17 PM   #2
3X3=5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: in a lot of traffic

It's definitely not normal for that to happen, must have hit something very hard. I'd assume it's not covered under warranty (considered damage rather than a defect), so get an aftermarket part and have an independent install it. I seriously doubt you'll get much of a discount from the dealer. It's a pretty easy job so any qualified shop should be fine and I'd think you can get this done for less than $500 with parts, labor and alignment.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2010, 06:33 PM   #3
cbtruckin
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

I'll be getting a call from the indy shop tomorrow. Hopefully they will be cheaper.
Thanks,
Corey
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2010, 06:42 PM   #4
cbtruckin
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Is there a DIY for front strut replacement? I'm seaching the diy thread and regular serach and not coming up with anything. If any one has a link or something.
Thanks,
Corey
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2010, 07:02 PM   #5
Gavin@MMW
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: MMW Supercharged E90 328i

Lookup a coilover install DIY, it would be the same procedure to replace a strut.

1000$ is crazy, you can do it yourself with some mechanical know-how and the parts, which can be ordered from me, or almost any other vendor on here - along with Tischer.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2010, 07:03 PM   #6
bimmertt
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 335i

I would imagine there would be a DIY somewhere on here for either swapping springs or installing coilovers. For $1000, you could get a pretty decent set of coilovers. Definitely do not pay that.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2010, 07:16 PM   #7
cbtruckin
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

I did find the DIY section on replacing coilovers. The hardest part looks like compressing the springs. Also I left out one thing. It's an XI. Is there anything different between XI and RWD concerning struts. I have their RWD loaner right now and was looking at the strut and it's seems do able. Just don't have my car here to see if any AWD stuff connects to the strut. I don't think it does.
Thanks,
Corey
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2010, 10:50 PM   #8
MKE_M3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 M3

It is really not bad at all if you have something to compress the springs and hopefully an extra set of hands. Last full suspension replacement I did (front and rear dampers/springs) took maybe 5 hours total, at most, with a friend.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2010, 11:05 PM   #9
dcorn
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 335i

Same thing happened to my car. Hit a huge pothole on the highway doing 80 and it bent the strut, knuckle and wheel, plus bubbled the tire. Quoted cost to replace the strut, knuckle and tire was $1700. When I pulled it all apart, you could definitely see the strut was bent, but the knuckle looked completely fine. No idea how they thought that was bent.

I bought a knuckle from Tischer for around $150 and got the old style BMW performance struts/shocks for $133 from Tischer as well. Put them on myself with some lowering springs that I bought used for $175. Then bought a used runflat with 1000 miles on it for $200. Saved myself a grand and lowered my car with all new struts/shocks at the same time.

Not sure the difference of an XI, but replacing a single strut shouldn't take you long. I say that's the best route to go.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2010, 06:17 PM   #10
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

If there is structural damage then unfortunately this is not a good candidate for a DIY -- you want a good tech evaluating what is messed up, especially as it's an xi.

The Tischer deal on BMW perf struts is definitely the way to go, but don't think they have a kit for xi. Worth checking out.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2010, 06:55 PM   #11
cbtruckin
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Problems with BARON BMW Merriam, Kansas

This delaership is BARON BMW, Merrriam, Kansas

I went up to the dealer today to have them show me what they were going to do for $1000.

Long story short.

Had car in two months ago for alignment, wife picked car up, SA showed her the alignment specs and said everything was back in specs. Now wife isn't very car savy. SA says everything is good you believe.

Now we are finally able to get car back to dealer to check alignment because it still wasn't right. This is when SA told me car had right front repairs done to it and right strut bent. (We bought it used from a Suzuki dealer with clean carfax, so somewhere along the line the front right got banged up, someone fixed the right fender and maybe wheel, but did not fix bent strut with an insurance claim. My fault, I thought I looked everything over with a fine tooth comb but when pointed out I could tell. I'm not trying to get dealer to fix anything for free.) So SA makes it a point to let me know that damage was done between alignments and they fixed it the first time. I told him, "we've not had any accidents in two months. My wife didn't get the alignment specs from the first time so I ask him about the specs. He can't find the sheet and the "File Guy is gone for the night".

So I just show up this morning to check everything out. He goes over the repair order with me and I get copies of everything and I see the alignment spec sheet, so I ask him about it. He said he just found it this morning and the right front camber was out 2 degrees (bad) the first time they aligned it. So the strut was bent the first time they aligned it. I ask him, "So it was bent the first time, the mechanic did this alignment, gave the sheet to you and went over it with my wife and told her everything was back within specs and took her money, right?" Nothing but a blank stare. Then he told me that I wouldn't have to pay for the second alignment after I tell him that he's trying to screw me for two alinments. I asked to speak to the Service Manager and told him the story. He said he was sorry and this was their "Best Mechanic". I didn't say what I wanted to but asked for a refund for the first alignment that was incompetently done and give me back my car.

He asked what he could do to make it right. I told him I didn't have the confidence in their dealership to have any paid service done. Maybe the free oil change later on but I doubt it.

I took it to Autopia (local indy shop recommended by KC BMW forum), put it on rack, they showed me what was wrong and how to fix it and if they did it I was more than welcome to watch them. I told them to order parts and make an appointment. Plus it's about $300 cheaper.

So I called the Dealership manager and left a message, he's out for the week. We'll see if he gets back to me. I don't think I could let the dealer fix for this free now.

I thought this forum had a section for dealership experience but could not find it.

Just thought I'd put this out.
Thanks,
Corey
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2010, 07:03 PM   #12
cbtruckin
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Okay found dealer review section and posted in there.

Corey
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2010, 02:40 PM   #13
cbtruckin
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

UPDATE

Dealership manager called, talked to SA and service manager. Apologized for the giant mistake and wanted to make it up. Said I'd get a new SA. I told him I'm not letting them fix the car but when the free oil change comes up I'd give them another chance. A couple days later I get a gift card in the mail for $50 to a fancy steakhouse.

I'm surprised they called and are trying to do the right thing. Hopefully it will be better in the future.

I have my appointment at the Indy shop Monday.

Corey
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2010, 07:26 PM   #14
cbtruckin
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Got car fixed today by Autopia in Kansas City. They did a great job and it cost alot less than dealer. Car drives straight as an arrow now.

Corey
Appreciate 0