E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > alignment with active steering after full m3 suspension conversion.

11-25-2010, 02:12 PM   #1
Funkmob
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i E92 space grey

alignment with active steering after full m3 suspension conversion.

I recently had my E92 upgraded with Bilstein pss10's and the full m3 suspension conversion.
My car is equipped with active steering. The suspension swap has been done by an independant shop , i never told them my car had active steering.
After the suspension conversion they had the car aligned by another independant shop.

When i got the car back the rear felt wobly , and after som inspection i found 1 bolt loose that was connected to a rear control arm.
After i tightened the bolt , the rear felt ok again.

Now im pretty sure they just did a standard alignment without taking the active steering into account.
And they probably aligned the car with that control arm not properly tightened.

The car feels much more stable , turn in is much better. Overall impression is good but not really brilliant.

The main problems i experience is that the steering wheel seems to have alot of play before actually making the wheels turn. This is not how my active steering felt before.

Other problem i feel is when accelerating hard or driving high speed on the highway , the front end of the car becomes floaty and doesn't feel planted at all.
The car feels much better under deceleration or braking , when the weight shifts more to the front.

I have the front schocks on max height , wich is pretty low. The rears have been adjusted to the same amount of drop as in the front.

Can somebody share some thoughts on how to get rid of that play in the steering wheel?

I guess a proper alignment at a BMW dealer could solve it. What should be the optimum alignment settings for a 335I with M3 suspension?

Thanks.
335I AT 2007. Vishnu V5 / UR CAI / HPF Intercooler / ER Charge pipe / Synapse BOV / Macht Shnell dp's / Vanguard catless exhaust / BSH occ / Labonte S4 Meth injection / Quiafe LSD / Full M3 suspension parts / Bilstein PSS10 / EBC brakes and lines / RB turbo's
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2010, 07:27 PM   #2
NiVeDh
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 335i, '99 E36 M3

Garage List
I just got an alignment too and I have active steering. The technician did not know that the car had AS until I mentioned it after he did the alignment. Then he used a BMW tool / computer thing to initialize and reset AS and that's all that needs to be done.

By the way, does your rear make a clunking sound when you go over dips and bumps in the road? I am having this issue with my Bilstein PSS9. Any help would be great. Pictures would be even better. What pieces do you need to transfer over from the OEM struts other than the orange bushing thing?

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=456540
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2010, 05:19 PM   #3
Funkmob
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i E92 space grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiVeDh View Post
I just got an alignment too and I have active steering. The technician did not know that the car had AS until I mentioned it after he did the alignment. Then he used a BMW tool / computer thing to initialize and reset AS and that's all that needs to be done.

By the way, does your rear make a clunking sound when you go over dips and bumps in the road? I am having this issue with my Bilstein PSS9. Any help would be great. Pictures would be even better. What pieces do you need to transfer over from the OEM struts other than the orange bushing thing?

I didn't do the installation myself , so i can't help you on that one. I don't have a clunking sound going over bumps. The coilovers are very firm. I had them installed with all M3 suspension parts and new subframe bushings. The car is alot more solid now and alot of chassis noises have dissapeared.

Did your steering improve after they reset the active steering?
335I AT 2007. Vishnu V5 / UR CAI / HPF Intercooler / ER Charge pipe / Synapse BOV / Macht Shnell dp's / Vanguard catless exhaust / BSH occ / Labonte S4 Meth injection / Quiafe LSD / Full M3 suspension parts / Bilstein PSS10 / EBC brakes and lines / RB turbo's
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2010, 05:25 PM   #4
NiVeDh
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkmob View Post
I didn't do the installation myself , so i can't help you on that one. I don't have a clunking sound going over bumps. The coilovers are very firm. I had them installed with all M3 suspension parts and new subframe bushings. The car is alot more solid now and alot of chassis noises have dissapeared.

Did your steering improve after they reset the active steering?
I didn't drive it before they reset it. They did the alignment, pulled the car out front and I asked them if they knew it had AS. Then the technician said, "wow, I didn't even feel it" and then he reset it.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2010, 05:29 PM   #5
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiVeDh View Post

Is this noise from the rear suspension? BMW's are famous for going thru rear shock mount bushings. Did you buy new ones when you installed your suspension?

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2010, 05:30 PM   #6
NiVeDh
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Is this noise from the rear suspension? BMW's are famous for going thru rear shock mount bushings. Did you buy new ones when you installed your suspension?

Dackel
Yes, it's from the rear.

No, I just reused the old ones I think... or maybe I left those out.

That might be it. I'll go check.

Edit: Do you mean the bushing between the shock and the control arm?

Last edited by NiVeDh; 11-27-2010 at 11:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 09:33 PM   #7
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: A metal box with a roundel

The bolt on the rear strut might be loose.......Had a friend that had that noise coming from the trunk, he too has PSS9s..........

'08 AW E90 335i
PROcede V5 | BMS DCI | RR DPs | ETS FMIC | FORGE DVs | Stett CP | Vanguard | PSS10
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2011, 03:27 AM   #8
ShyGuy
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

I'm experiencing the same symptoms as you. During long sweeping high speed corner, the car feels very "floaty" and there seems to be some sort of delay between steering inputs and the car actually responding.

How is the active steering reset? Did it make a difference?
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2011, 10:26 AM   #9
tofu-
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i Jet Black/Coral Red

quick question:

how do you know if you have active steering? i bought the car used
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2011, 11:14 AM   #10
Manoah
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i, LE R1

old thread, but +1 ^ although, mine wasnt used.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2011, 05:26 PM   #11
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: A metal box with a roundel

Make a turn when doing 25, then same turn at 40. If you feel the steering tightening up during the 40mph turn compared to the 25mph one, then you have AS......

It basically tightens up the steering as the speed increases to be more responsive.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu- View Post
quick question:

how do you know if you have active steering? i bought the car used

'08 AW E90 335i
PROcede V5 | BMS DCI | RR DPs | ETS FMIC | FORGE DVs | Stett CP | Vanguard | PSS10
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2011, 11:44 AM   #12
raceyBMW
king of the hills
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 w/ESS55, 2001 540i/6

Garage List
2001 BMW 540i/6  [8.17]
1994 530i  [9.00]
2007 335i Coupe  [8.37]
Check the power steering reservoir...

star/spoke type cap, no active steering
round cap, active steering

you can look on realoem.com to see the difference.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2011, 06:27 PM   #13
tofu-
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i Jet Black/Coral Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by raceyBMW View Post
Check the power steering reservoir...

star/spoke type cap, no active steering
round cap, active steering

you can look on realoem.com to see the difference.
thanks
Appreciate 0