E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > My tramlining issue is MUCH worse in the rain

12-25-2010, 11:29 PM   #1
Palisades
Private
Rep
Drives:

My tramlining issue is MUCH worse in the rain

It's pouring rain right now in LA, and I've noticed recently that my car is downright scary on the freeway when it rains. I have 10 inch wide wheels in the rear, and 9.5 in the front which are relatively new. I also just had a Wavetrac installed. My car is all over the place on the freeway going 60mph when it is raining. When it is dry, my car has minor tramlining, especially over bumps on the freeway. But in the rain, the rear feels like it loses its ability to track straight.

When it rains, It seems like the same symptoms as tramlining, but much more pronounced. The rear of my car is just all over the place. I'm still on the stock sport suspension, but I just ordered Koni Yellows, with swift springs from Harold, along with the full M3 conversion. I'm hoping this fixes the problem.

Is this because my tires are really wide, and it is much easier to hydroplane? Or could it be an alignment or worn out bushing issue?

Has anyone else experienced this? Any help would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2010, 12:21 AM   #2
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i 6MT

sounds like hydroplaning. what tires do you have?
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2010, 04:24 AM   #3
badass335
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 540i Xdrive

Take a read through my post. I had similar issues.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=419998
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2010, 03:53 PM   #4
Palisades
Private
Rep
Drives:

I'm running Hanhook V12's. Thanks badass, I read your thread already and it was very helpful. I'm specifically wondering why these issues would be much worse in the rain. Im thinking the constant hydroplaning keeps unsettling the suspension. I guess the Hanhook's aren't helping much either.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2010, 04:27 AM   #5
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

There could be another factor which is involved and more affected by the suspension, wheel/tire setups.

Rain can chill a tire and the sidewalls run stiffer. The wider the low profile tires, the more that will be noticed, as it is harder to follow the road contours. Remember rain cooling the tire can also cause a decrease in the running pressure, so a second negative.

Stiffer tires at a lower than ideal running pressure are not going to feel the same as a hot tire (which is more flexible) over changing road camber. Add in 'softish' bushings, wear and/or more agressive camber settings and the car will be more sensitive to any imperfections.

I'm not just talking theoretical here either, try a set of run-flats in warm dry conditions and then run into cold rain which chill the tires, and feel the vehicle dramatically change under you.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0