E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Snow Storm in Boston......

02-14-2007, 09:19 PM   #1
lyjw88
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: C63S & X3MC

Snow Storm in Boston......

Due to the snow storm in Boston area since last night,

it has been snowing and frozen raining like hell.

I put my car cover on my 335i as soon as the snow started last night.

When I checked my car today.......

Damn! the whole car was covered with ice, not snow.

I tried to slowly lift up the cover, but it was too frozen that it seemed as if it

was going to break.

I have no clue what I'm supposed to do with this situation.

Please help me out here...
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2007, 08:09 AM   #2
Brunotheboxer
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyjw88 View Post
Due to the snow storm in Boston area since last night,

it has been snowing and frozen raining like hell.

I put my car cover on my 335i as soon as the snow started last night.

When I checked my car today.......

Damn! the whole car was covered with ice, not snow.

I tried to slowly lift up the cover, but it was too frozen that it seemed as if it

was going to break.

I have no clue what I'm supposed to do with this situation.

Please help me out here...
how about a hair dryer.

"...I maybe drunk, but you're ugly, and I can sober up..."
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2007, 08:30 AM   #3
SMOKE EM IF U GOT EM!!
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06' E90 330, 20' F97 X3m

Garage List
2006 330i SPORT  [7.34]
Im in ny and it happened to me yesterday also. i have had car covers for years. If u have the time let it thaw properly, other wise ur gonna pull patches of it off! If u have to go out, life or death, u should get a 5 gal. bucket of hot hot water. Give the car a hot bath and the cover should come off like butter! This is what ive been doing and it works fine for me.

LIVE FAST..DRIVE FASTER!!
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2007, 08:39 AM   #4
Richwm
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 E90 330i 6MT, 01 E46 330i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMOKE EM IF U GOT EM!! View Post
Im in ny and it happened to me yesterday also. i have had car covers for years. If u have the time let it thaw properly, other wise ur gonna pull patches of it off! If u have to go out, life or death, u should get a 5 gal. bucket of hot hot water. Give the car a hot bath and the cover should come off like butter! This is what ive been doing and it works fine for me.
That sounds like a really good way to break your windows dont use hot water cold water would be much safer.
Mar 05 Build date,2006 E90 330i, Sport Package, Premium Package, TR MT-1's . V-1 Hard-wired power with custom V-1 Concealment Display . Rear fogs, Rear power outlet's, M short shifter knob, BlackLines, BMW Strut tower bar, CDV Delete, Front M3 wishbones + tension struts, BMW Performance shocks and springs, BMW Performance Brake kit F&R, OEM short shift kit. Rear M3 Guide rods and Wishbones.
2006 E-90 330i with 302,000 miles.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2007, 08:55 AM   #5
SMOKE EM IF U GOT EM!!
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06' E90 330, 20' F97 X3m

Garage List
2006 330i SPORT  [7.34]
im not talkin bout the glass buddy! lol. . just the paint where the cover is sticking. like i said. ive been doing this for years and not once have had a problem! works well. cold water instantly freezes genius . atleast the warm water gives u time to pull the entire cover off..before the cold water makes it freeze to the car again.

but then again coming from cali, i guess u dont experience this much!! ?? or maybe u lived in a cold climate sumtime or another?

LIVE FAST..DRIVE FASTER!!
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2007, 11:12 AM   #6
Richwm
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 E90 330i 6MT, 01 E46 330i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMOKE EM IF U GOT EM!! View Post
im not talkin bout the glass buddy! lol. . just the paint where the cover is sticking. like i said. ive been doing this for years and not once have had a problem! works well. cold water instantly freezes genius . atleast the warm water gives u time to pull the entire cover off..before the cold water makes it freeze to the car again.

but then again coming from cali, i guess u dont experience this much!! ?? or maybe u lived in a cold climate sumtime or another?
So when the OP poors a 5 gallon bucket of hot water on his roof and it runs down the windsheld and cracks it who is going to be the genius. Oh BTW no I havent lived in Socal my hole life. I have seen a dumb ass pour a cup of hot water on his windsheld and crack it trying to get the ice off.
Mar 05 Build date,2006 E90 330i, Sport Package, Premium Package, TR MT-1's . V-1 Hard-wired power with custom V-1 Concealment Display . Rear fogs, Rear power outlet's, M short shifter knob, BlackLines, BMW Strut tower bar, CDV Delete, Front M3 wishbones + tension struts, BMW Performance shocks and springs, BMW Performance Brake kit F&R, OEM short shift kit. Rear M3 Guide rods and Wishbones.
2006 E-90 330i with 302,000 miles.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2007, 12:54 PM   #7
Brunotheboxer
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500.

fwiw, i also would never pour hot water on my car during cold temps. maybe you've been doing it for years without any problems but i just wouldn't chance it.

"...I maybe drunk, but you're ugly, and I can sober up..."
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2007, 03:42 PM   #8
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
My neighbor does the same thing -- dumps hot water on his car cover when it freezes in the snow/ice. Seems crazy to me, but he claims he has never had problems.
      02-16-2007, 06:48 AM   #9
hunt55
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325i

My cover stuck to the roof in Maryland this week. Mostly it froze on the top and on the moonroof but just in one or two spots. Try a warm towel to looses the ice and carefully remove the cover or use a blow dryer.

The first time it happened a couple of weeks ago. I discovered as I pulled the cover off pieces of the cover were frozen to the car.
Appreciate 0