E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Minor curbing to 19"313 alloy, any recomendation for a repair?

09-28-2011, 01:49 PM   #1
james'e92M sport
Rep
Drives: E92 320d M-sport

Minor curbing to 19"313 alloy, any recomendation for a repair?

Hi Guys,

Due to some inconsiderate barsteward i was forced to mount a kerb and dodge a lamp post, during said maneuver i kerbed one of my rims slightly

The 313's arent silver they are like a grey lacquer, could anyone point me in the direction of a company that can touch this up/refurb this for me around the manchester area??

Thanks in advance for your help

James
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2011, 02:14 PM   #2
james'e92M sport
Rep

Hi thanks for that, any idea where i can get this done?

How come it cant be refurbed? is it the colour?

James
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2011, 03:03 PM   #3
james'e92M sport
Rep

Can anyone else help?
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2011, 03:15 PM   #4
james'e92M sport
Rep

Thanks for that, i travel to leamington spa once a week so birminghams not unrealistic, would u mind telling me the name of the place?

James
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2011, 03:21 PM   #5
chris_s1
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT

Garage List
2012 E92 335d  [8.66]
I've had 2 of my 313 refurb'ed by Lepsons and they did a good job, but they are not local to you (Swindon or Gillingham).

Be aware that whoever does the repair, they will not be quite perfect afterwards as the only way is to physically machine the wheel down.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2011, 03:26 PM   #6
james'e92M sport
Rep

Thanks Chris, im going to speak to the dealer i bought from tomorrow (only had the car from new 2 weeks

I am hoping they may do me some kind of discount, if not ill ring around

James

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_s1 View Post
I've had 2 of my 313 refurb'ed by Lepsons and they did a good job, but they are not local to you (Swindon or Gillingham).

Be aware that whoever does the repair, they will not be quite perfect afterwards as the only way is to physically machine the wheel down.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2011, 03:28 PM   #7
james'e92M sport
Rep

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diseasel View Post
Smartcare Repair based in Tipton Dudley.

They do Sytner and Benham BMW repairs.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2011, 04:34 PM   #8
DavS1
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Emfree

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
I've still not had mine repaired, going to just look for a good second hand one will never match the other 3 if I repair one, and as you cna only repair each wheel once im told (due to machining the surface if at all depending on how deep the scatch is?)

put some of your missus clear nail varnish over it to protect the bare ally so it doesn't oxodise and make it worse.

Siiiiiigh.
      09-28-2011, 05:18 PM   #9
chris_s1
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2012 E92 335d  [8.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavS1 View Post
and as you cna only repair each wheel once im told (due to machining the surface if at all depending on how deep the scatch is?)
There certainly is a limit as to how many times they can be machined but you will definately get 2 or 3 refurbs in their lifetime at least.
One of mine had a pretty deep gouge in it and there is still plenty left for another refurb or even two if required.

Rgs
Chris
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2011, 05:43 PM   #10
webwysard
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M135i

Try AWR in Bury. I have used them couple of times and they do dealership work as well and are quite good.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2011, 07:44 PM   #11
catdog1121
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Hyundai coupe

Im probably going to get lambasted for this but I managed to clip my front left coming out of a tight multi story, wasnt too deep but the jagged shiney metal meant it stood out like a sore thumb.

I cleaned the wheel, took some medium sand paper, sanded away being careful not to take too much off but enough to get rid of the real jagged look, then some fine wet and dry sand paper with plenty of soapy water to even it all out. Then I got some G20 cutting compound and with a lot of rubbing that removed all the tiny scratches from the wet and dry, then another good clean before applying a few layers of laquer to seal it all up.

Im really happy with the end result, yeah its not perfect but at the same time nobody notices it at all unlike before with the jagged look, you have to get pretty close to the wheel and know its there to look for it, yes you can spot it if you know but from any distance you dont notice it.

My theory is ill undoubtedly scratch them again however careful I am and im not paying stupid amount of money plus the cut will never look the same as the others.

It can be done if its not too deep and like I say im well chuffed with the result.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 01:09 AM   #12
james'e92M sport
Rep

thanks for all your help guys, i'll contact AWR in Bury, Catdog i think its ace if you did it yourself, unfortunately im profoundly incompetent at anything like that so i wont even try.

The damage is so small ind its right on the lip so im hoping it can be done fairly easy, i emailed a mobile company called smart auto repairs, anyone used these?

Thanks again, good to know its not just me with this issue
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 04:17 AM   #13
chedixon
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 YMB Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdog1121 View Post
Im probably going to get lambasted for this but I managed to clip my front left coming out of a tight multi story, wasnt too deep but the jagged shiney metal meant it stood out like a sore thumb.

I cleaned the wheel, took some medium sand paper, sanded away being careful not to take too much off but enough to get rid of the real jagged look, then some fine wet and dry sand paper with plenty of soapy water to even it all out. Then I got some G20 cutting compound and with a lot of rubbing that removed all the tiny scratches from the wet and dry, then another good clean before applying a few layers of laquer to seal it all up.

Im really happy with the end result, yeah its not perfect but at the same time nobody notices it at all unlike before with the jagged look, you have to get pretty close to the wheel and know its there to look for it, yes you can spot it if you know but from any distance you dont notice it.

My theory is ill undoubtedly scratch them again however careful I am and im not paying stupid amount of money plus the cut will never look the same as the others.

It can be done if its not too deep and like I say im well chuffed with the result.
I did the same fix in my old R32 as that had a polished edge, works a treat on small Kerb marks and you couldn't tell
      09-29-2011, 07:05 AM   #14
fat dog
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: iX3 M Sport Pro

catdog1121 - great to hear you made a success of a diy attempt. I've just lightly scuffed my front offside (can only think in a pothole as I've not parked or driven near a kerb for weeks). Please can you just elaborate on the grade of sand paper you used to do the major work and what sort of lacquer you used to seal it all (e.g. spray or paint, make etc.).

In the six months I've had this car I've claimed for three new wheels covering four separate incidents through my work's self-insured fund. I daren't taint my name any more so will attempt a diy job. Just shows how easy this wheel/tyre combo is to scuff at 19". Of all the cars I've owned over the last 20 years, I think I only ever scuffed one wheel prior to this E92.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 07:51 AM   #15
catdog1121
Private First Class
Rep

The medium sand paper was just some household sandpaper, obvious be careful but it does take some to get it off, mostly all your doing is taking off the lacquer.

I got a master kit from paints4u.com, I used this wet and dry stuff, P2000 wet and dry, I also used the cleaner in that kit, the G3 cutting compound (sorry not G20 as stated above) and the lacquer, used the little applicator that comes with it to put on the lacquer, ill go take some photos for you, dont have any photos before but it looked pretty scruffy.

Really recommend the paints4u kit, also comes with some paint that matches the car, with practice you can do a really good job on scratches.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 01:01 PM   #16
catdog1121
Private First Class
Rep

I know its hard to understand how much better this is compared to how it was.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 01:43 PM   #17
james'e92M sport
Rep

Hi Mate,

Thanks for taking the time to add the pics, i had a bit of a dilemma, i cant send the wheel away for 5 days to be diamond cut as i havent got another car/spare wheel so i found a mobile company that claims to have a good fix for the diamond cut wheels so i thought for 70quid ill give it a go. Having it done tomorrow at 12 so ill let you know how they get on

Yours dont look bad at all,

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdog1121 View Post

I know its hard to understand how much better this is compared to how it was.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 02:18 PM   #18
james'e92M sport
Rep

Here is what mine currently looks like, ill post the after pics tomorrow!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-30-2011, 09:30 AM   #19
james'e92M sport
Rep

One Happy Bunny

It wasnt cheap but i had a mobile company come and repair my alloy, £80 inc VAT, nobody else would touch these as they were diamond cut but the guy that came did a mega job, i couldnt even find where it was!

he pointed to the area where it was and i took a pic.

I'd definately recommend these guys, they were called smart auto repairs and were based in Knutsford. Ian was the driver that sorted mine, nice guy too!

Made me a happy man again
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-30-2011, 10:52 AM   #20
chris_s1
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2012 E92 335d  [8.66]
Wow that is really impressive, no mobile wheel repair company I have contacted would touch diamond cut wheels either.

Do you know what techniques he used?
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2011, 11:26 AM   #21
bounty78
Mike
Malaysia
Rep
Drives: F10 528i M Sport LCI

Garage List
Good job
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2011, 12:44 PM   #22
james'e92M sport
Rep

Cheers guys,

I asked him what he did that others couldnt, he didnt say, tbh i work from home and my phone was going so i didnt have time really to talk,

I was really suprised as i thought it wasnt going to look good but he did a sterling job.

I asked how many times this could be done and he said many many times, no real limit.

Im not feeleing too bad about having these wheels now!
Appreciate 0