E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Question about towels/mitts

09-23-2007, 03:39 PM   #1
uber335
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335i COUPE

Question about towels/mitts

I just bought 2 Simoniz Sheepskin wash mitts and 3 microfiber drying towels. I'm just wondering how many times I can re-use (after machine wash) these products before I need to replace them?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2007, 04:11 PM   #2
ejazbmw
blahhh
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235I

I personally never wash my MF towels since they never come out the same as if they were brand new so I just toss them away once they get dirty, but for my quality mf towels I only use them for buffing off wax and such so they never really get dirty but they tend to get caked on product.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2007, 04:12 PM   #3
ejazbmw
blahhh
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235I

oh and for the sheepskin mitts there good for about 6-8 washes depending on how you use them there pretty much done after that.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2007, 05:03 PM   #4
oneshare325
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i, E82 135i

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
2006 325i  [0.00]
I agree with ejazbmw

I do the same thing...
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2007, 05:26 PM   #5
normtrum
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 335i, e46 330i

sheepskin will last anywhere from 6-10 washes, imo. Pretty close to what was said above. I have 10 or 12 in my rotation right now. I use a label system for use on diff parts of my car. Only the best/newest I use on my hood. Once they get a little used, I use them for my top, trunk, upper sides. Once those get a little more worn, I use them for the bottom area (whole car). After that I might use them for awhile for my other cars.

I wash my sheepskins in hot water with a tiny bit of reg detergent (mild), on a gentle cycle. I then air dry them. When they're dry, each mit goes into a zip lock baggy.

As I'm sitting here typing this, I'm once again reminded how freaking anal I am.
      09-23-2007, 06:40 PM   #6
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 VW JSW

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
My sheepskin mits had a habit of falling apart after a wash or 2, so I switched the the Lake County Ulti-mit. Heres a review I wrote on that mit, http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ht=lake+county

As for my MF towels I wash them with some mf washing solution. Personally I don't notice a difference after a wash like others said. I also would never continue to reuse a towel until I classify it dirty enough to throw away. Most detailers would say to use 2-3 towels to wipe the wax off of an entire car, let alone 1 towel continually reused until you think its too dirty.

retired 06 E90 325i

New: 09 VW Platinum Grey Jetta Sportwagen 2.0T SEL w/DSG, panoramic sunroof and Ipod adapter
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2007, 07:07 PM   #7
normtrum
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkcloud View Post
My sheepskin mits had a habit of falling apart after a wash or 2, so I switched the the Lake County Ulti-mit. Heres a review I wrote on that mit, http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ht=lake+county

As for my MF towels I wash them with some mf washing solution. Personally I don't notice a difference after a wash like others said. I also would never continue to reuse a towel until I classify it dirty enough to throw away. Most detailers would say to use 2-3 towels to wipe the wax off of an entire car, let alone 1 towel continually reused until you think its too dirty.
Darkcloud...I remember your excellent review from last month. After using the ulti mit for awhile now, how has it held up? Can you put it in the washing machine?
      09-23-2007, 07:33 PM   #8
Ruff Rider
"posting from my recliner"
United_States
Rep
Drives: twin turbo Prius

My sheep skin wash mitt is holding up very well. I have washed 18 car's with it and it still looks in great shape. I use a different kind of wash mitt to wash the tires and wheels.

As far as microfiber towels again mine are holding up very well also. I use a product from Griot's to add to the wash cycle when I have to clean them. I will dry them on low and add nothing to the drying cycle as they are drying.

I feel you get what you pay for so I only buy what I feel are the best quality products.

Ping Golf Club demo tech
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2007, 07:38 PM   #9
uber335
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335i COUPE

hmm I just washed my mf towel and sheepskin mitts in the washing machine and let it dry in the sun. Is that good or bad?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2007, 07:47 PM   #10
Ruff Rider
"posting from my recliner"
United_States
Rep
Drives: twin turbo Prius

When I wash my towels I use my regular detergent and add the Griot's microfiber cleaner. When I dry them I don't add any fabric softeners to the dryer.

I have never washed my sheep skin mitt. I rinse the mitt with my hose and let it dry on the grate in my wash bucket.

Ping Golf Club demo tech
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2007, 07:55 PM   #11
normtrum
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by uber335 View Post
hmm I just washed my mf towel and sheepskin mitts in the washing machine and let it dry in the sun. Is that good or bad?
In doors or out? in doors it would be just fine, outdoors I would be afraid of some dust landing on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruff Rider View Post
When I wash my towels I use my regular detergent and add the Griot's microfiber cleaner. When I dry them I don't add any fabric softeners to the dryer.

I have never washed my sheep skin mitt. I rinse the mitt with my hose and let it dry on the grate in my wash bucket.

yeah I forgot to mention above, but I also use griots mf cleaner with normal detergent. I also rinse twice in the washing machine. Then I dry in the dryer (air dry, no heat) without any fabric softeners. I do however wash my sheepskins in the wm, but I let them air dry while lying on a towell.

It's amazing how we are such sticklers for details....I got this way because of my overly touchy black saph paint!
      09-24-2007, 07:24 AM   #12
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 VW JSW

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by normtrum View Post
Darkcloud...I remember your excellent review from last month. After using the ulti mit for awhile now, how has it held up? Can you put it in the washing machine?
I've washed it ones so far and let it air dry. Other then that I've just hosed it off and let it air dry in my garage. It still looks like the day I removed it from the shipping plastic. It pulls away dirt particles as well as a sheep shin mit but also doesn't pull them in and hold onto them like a greedy gambler. I've found that a good powerful spraying will make nearly 95% of the visible dirt come off and the rest is removed when you dunk the mit in the bucket.

I've also not noticed any new scratch/swirl damage done to my paint, which is great. I think this new mit has become a near full-time replacement of a sheep skin mit its performing that well.

retired 06 E90 325i

New: 09 VW Platinum Grey Jetta Sportwagen 2.0T SEL w/DSG, panoramic sunroof and Ipod adapter
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2007, 08:07 AM   #13
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

Quote:
Originally Posted by uber335
Putting sheepskin mitts in a washer and dryer can easily ruin the durability of the wash mitts. You should rinse them with free flowing water from the hose or sink, then let them air dry by hanging them for maximum results.

George
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2007, 09:39 AM   #14
Raz335
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detailed Image View Post
Putting sheepskin mitts in a washer and dryer can easily ruin the durability of the wash mitts. You should rinse them with free flowing water from the hose or sink, then let them air dry by hanging them for maximum results.

George
That's exactly what I do. No need to wash the sheepskin mits. As for MF towels, I wash them once every few months (SInce I bought a lot to circulate through) and let them air dry. The dryer will destroy the towels IMO.
Appreciate 0