E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > My suspension plan, good package?

09-22-2013, 04:46 PM   #1
CTDrifter
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 14' 335i

Plan on installing the following items on my 08 335i coupe in the coming weeks. Looking for a performance overhaul of the cars handling.

1. KW V1 coilovers
2. M3 control arms
3. M3 front sway bar

Will these items work nice together? Is there anything else that should be considered or done instead of these three?

Is the M3 bar the sway to go with or is there a cheaper aftermarket alternative that is same. I do like that the M bar comes with sturdier mounting hardware....
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2013, 06:03 PM   #2
CTDrifter
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 14' 335i

No advice on this one? I guess I should make the questions more direct...

1. Is it ok to upgrade only the front sway bar? I've read the front bar alone will reduce body roll and the rear is stiff enough with the V1's and stock bar. If I were to add the M3 rear bar it would decrease traction with my open diff, this true?

2. I plan on dropping the car 1" lower than it sits now with the sport suspension. Will longer end links be required?

3. Will my stock 335 hardware work with the M3 control arms or do I need to buy the $37 install kit (4 bolts & nuts).

4. Is the Bentley service manual worth it? Does it have all the torque specs and full illustrated techniques for the entire vehicle?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2013, 06:13 PM   #3
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTDrifter View Post
Plan on installing the following items on my 08 335i coupe in the coming weeks. Looking for a performance overhaul of the cars handling.

1. KW V1 coilovers
2. M3 control arms
3. M3 front sway bar

Will these items work nice together? Is there anything else that should be considered or done instead of these three?

Is the M3 bar the sway to go with or is there a cheaper aftermarket alternative that is same. I do like that the M bar comes with sturdier mounting hardware....
1. KW V1's should not really be considered a 'performance option.' They only allow you to adjust ride height and the quality of their struts is meh (from a performance standpoint).
2. Best option outside of getting struts and springs. You will notice a CONSIDERABLE difference in turn in confidence and feedback. The front end seems more planted and a little heavier (in a good way.
3) If you don't plan on changing spring rates or getting that into building a suspension, the oem M3 sway is a nice option to tighten up the front of the chassis. Also, the strut tower brace will help with body pitch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTDrifter View Post
No advice on this one? I guess I should make the questions more direct...

1. Is it ok to upgrade only the front sway bar? I've read the front bar alone will reduce body roll and the rear is stiff enough with the V1's and stock bar. If I were to add the M3 rear bar it would decrease traction with my open diff, this true?

2. I plan on dropping the car 1" lower than it sits now with the sport suspension. Will longer end links be required?

3. Will my stock 335 hardware work with the M3 control arms or do I need to buy the $37 install kit (4 bolts & nuts).

4. Is the Bentley service manual worth it? Does it have all the torque specs and full illustrated techniques for the entire vehicle?
1. There are a lot of factors. You can't really ask such a question with that specific a parameters and get a definitive answer back. Adding a sway bar to the rear will tighten the back but you are in no way going to prevent power from getting down. You don't have an 800lbs spring rate in the rear so I wouldn't worry about not having enough flex. And even with an open dif you won't really notice a difference, lol.

2. Not necessarily. I do not have endlinks in my 335i (stupidly) and I don't think that will make or break your setup. If you want to and have the funds go for it, but for your specific requirements I do not believe it is necessary.

3. No, I have never heard of a $37 kit and we do that installation night and day.

4. Can't comment because I have no knowledge of what that is.

I would ask if you could propose a budget. As I have stated a lot of times in other threads, if you are looking for a comfort AND performance oriented setup I would stick with KONI and SWIFT for the stuts and springs IF you just want a minimal drop and performance. Yes, it is a little bit more than the KW setup, but the performance is 10x better. If you are just looking to 'stance' your car or more concerned with aesthetics then the V1 kit would work great for you.

It all comes down to what you really want in the car. Hope this helped a little, feel free to ask more questions!

-Mike
Appreciate 0