Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

06-28-2016, 07:43 AM   #1
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 MG/SO

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
I finally did it, thanks to all of the useful posts here by many members, I and the car were well prepared! This was a very short first track experience ~ 30mns, and aside from carting track time, no on track time with a car. (Non technical review here...)

The local club I joined (aselc.ca) is a non profit club, down to earth racers/trackers that donate their time to supervise and coach the likes of me! The instructor drives around the track in your car explaining and showing the race line, visual cues, ... When I was waiting for one, I see this super young "fast and furious" type kid (I swear he looked like a younger Paul Walker, RIP) walking to sit in my M4 driver seat. In my head, jeez what will this kid teach me

He was super nice, very easy going, took it really easy with my car and after few laps I jumped in the driver seat, and if I had the M-laptimer on, I'd probably would have clocked the slowest laptime ever in history but it didn't matter because the kid was impressed, albeit my slow speeds, that I didn't "pinch" the steering wheel. CanAutM3 thank you!

Now, we pull over, and I ask him what's in it for them, he says they get free track time and they enjoy teaching people and he points to the AY e46 M3, lowered, Porsche Caliper/brakes, sports recaro driver seat, full roll cage ala GTS. And he asks me if I want to join him in the passenger seat, I am like say what, e46 M3 was my dream car that I didn't realize until now with the F82.

Rewind 1.5 hours, I had a quick fast supper/salad and everything leading to that point was nice and relaxing... Boy, was I in for the ride of my life. I was thrown, left right, up and down , forward backwards, with g forces I never experienced before, the meal I had before was suddenly making its way up , I controlled as much as I can, and after 10-12 gruelling laps I prayed for the organizer to signal it's over. The kid drove his E46 like a rocket, DSC off, full speed, not one instance of oversteer, taking some tight turns at 80-90kph, small straights at 100-140kph, he was IMHO a rock solid driver and this is a short circuit (1.1mi with 13 turns). And the e46 M3, what a raw car...

After we pulled out, i was sweating, I don't know maybe from indigestion, excitement and/or fear, so I told the young instructor you should have gravol in your car, he goes to me he does and he always takes one when he's in the passenger seat :

Lessons learned: (
- never judge
- don't eat a big meal before
- bring gravol

I'll be heading again next Monday for another session, tires/brakes look ok (Caliper still blue) judging from my slowness at the track. I wish I had a GoPro to film his laps, I may consider getting one! Thanks for reading and sorry for no pics aside my helmet with its new club sticker.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      06-28-2016, 08:44 AM   #2
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep
Drives: RR Velar R=Dynamic M2C R1200GS

Where you at St Eustache?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2016, 08:57 AM   #3
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead999s
Where you at St Eustache?
Yes, a humble small circuit but perfect for my needs for now and a lot to learn that I believe once you understand the basics, you could apply them on other tracks.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-28-2016, 09:07 AM   #4
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep

The only time that I was there was in the early 80's where I co-drove in a Datsun 510 in the rain for a 6 hour race.it was a fun place!
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2016, 09:15 AM   #5
shaftwhy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Welcome to the (noobs) family!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboulfad View Post
I finally did it, thanks to all of the useful posts here by many members, I and the car were well prepared! This was a very short first track experience ~ 30mns, and aside from carting track time, no on track time with a car. (Non technical review here...)

The local club I joined (aselc.ca) is a non profit club, down to earth racers/trackers that donate their time to supervise and coach the likes of me! The instructor drives around the track in your car explaining and showing the race line, visual cues, ... When I was waiting for one, I see this super young "fast and furious" type kid (I swear he looked like a younger Paul Walker, RIP) walking to sit in my M4 driver seat. In my head, jeez what will this kid teach me

He was super nice, very easy going, took it really easy with my car and after few laps I jumped in the driver seat, and if I had the M-laptimer on, I'd probably would have clocked the slowest laptime ever in history but it didn't matter because the kid was impressed, albeit my slow speeds, that I didn't "pinch" the steering wheel. CanAutM3 thank you!

Now, we pull over, and I ask him what's in it for them, he says they get free track time and they enjoy teaching people and he points to the AY e46 M3, lowered, Porsche Caliper/brakes, sports recaro driver seat, full roll cage ala GTS. And he asks me if I want to join him in the passenger seat, I am like say what, e46 M3 was my dream car that I didn't realize until now with the F82.

Rewind 1.5 hours, I had a quick fast supper/salad and everything leading to that point was nice and relaxing... Boy, was I in for the ride of my life. I was thrown, left right, up and down , forward backwards, with g forces I never experienced before, the meal I had before was suddenly making its way up , I controlled as much as I can, and after 10-12 gruelling laps I prayed for the organizer to signal it's over. The kid drove his E46 like a rocket, DSC off, full speed, not one instance of oversteer, taking some tight turns at 80-90kph, small straights at 100-140kph, he was IMHO a rock solid driver and this is a short circuit (1.1mi with 13 turns). And the e46 M3, what a raw car...

After we pulled out, i was sweating, I don't know maybe from indigestion, excitement and/or fear, so I told the young instructor you should have gravol in your car, he goes to me he does and he always takes one when he's in the passenger seat :

Lessons learned: (
- never judge
- don't eat a big meal before
- bring gravol

I'll be heading again next Monday for another session, tires/brakes look ok (Caliper still blue) judging from my slowness at the track. I wish I had a GoPro to film his laps, I may consider getting one! Thanks for reading and sorry for no pics aside my helmet with its new club sticker.
Appreciate 1
      06-28-2016, 09:16 AM   #6
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead999s
The only time that I was there was in the early 80's where I co-drove in a Datsun 510 in the rain for a 6 hour race.it was a fun place!
OMG, flashback to 1986 when I borrowed my uncle's Datsun and it broke on a busy intersection back home, never heard anyone mention this make since I emigrated here 25 year ago ... I grew up around Datsun, Peugeot, Renault, BMW, Mercedes, cars...

This track isn't long/high speed like LCMT or Calabogie as you know, but I'll make it to those two maybe next year when I develop more confidence and experience, and a bigger wallet
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2016, 01:25 PM   #7
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Welcome to the club

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2016, 01:59 PM   #8
FLOSS M
///M3
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 22 M3 X-Drive

Congrats on becoming a track Junkie
Appreciate 1
      06-28-2016, 02:03 PM   #9
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3
Welcome to the club
Well I am not in your club yet apparently LCMT clubs have a snobby reputation it was fun and it's great to have patient members like you and others to explain the theory as well some practical car track maintenance. Incidentally I found another site with some good videos and written material: http://driver61.com/uni/racing-line
Appreciate 1
      06-28-2016, 02:08 PM   #10
F80Dreamer
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

Congrats that is awesome...I only had 1 track day in my older E92 M3 but was blown away by the great community and the limits of these cars.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2016, 02:13 PM   #11
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by F80Dreamer View Post
Congrats that is awesome...I only had 1 track day in my older E92 M3 but was blown away by the great community and the limits of these cars.
Yeah, the kid did pushed that e46 M3 to its limits and it makes you really appreciate, albeit all the complaining we do, what an amazing car we drive. You can only appreciate that either if you are a skilled driver and track or sit in the cockpit with one I don't think I will ever drive like him, he was fearless, but hope one day I start to understand and apply some basic racing techniques.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2016, 02:23 PM   #12
Yessir
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: car

I recently took my car to the track as well for the first time, Laguna Seca. Had a blast and learned so much about the limits of the car and what it is really capable of. I still have a long way to go before I can take the car to the limit but it was a great learning experience.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2016, 02:28 PM   #13
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yessir
I recently took my car to the track as well for the first time, Laguna Seca. Had a blast and learned so much about the limits of the car and what it is really capable of. I still have a long way to go before I can take the car to the limit but it was a great learning experience.
Wow, so it's your first time and they let you push it, Or it's your first time with this car? The instructor encouraged me to go tiny faster but nowhere close to the limits of the car... Is this the track https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazd...ay_Laguna_Seca ? Nice.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2016, 03:14 PM   #14
Yessir
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:
Wow, so it's your first time and they let you push it, Or it's your first time with this car? The instructor encouraged me to go tiny faster but nowhere close to the limits of the car... Is this the track https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazd...ay_Laguna_Seca ? Nice.
Second time to the track, first time with this car. I went with my track rat buddies and they ended up signing me in the advanced class so I swallowed my fear and went with it. Even though I wasn't the quickest or bravest through the turns, the car had enough power to keep me at a decent pace throughout the track with the other cars. Anyone that wanted to pass, I let them. This is actually what kept me fairly comfortable; knowing I didn't have to try and keep pace because it wasn't a race. If I felt any pressure, I moved to the side, and off the other driver went.... And yes this is the same Laguna Seca.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2016, 03:31 PM   #15
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
@yessir Nice track, and for having the guts to do it with other trackers. When I arrived at my track, there was an event and the cars were flying past so fast it was nerve racking if I would have been in there...

With the club I joined, you have to move from beginner group (red color) and the guy who went to stick a red magnet on my trunk couldn't figure out why it didn't stick : anyways, beginners are always alone on the track and no passing permitted. Once you move to intermediate (after maybe 6 visits), then it's mixed with the next level up with strict ruling passes.

I like this format because it safely and gradually builds one's confidence but if one shows skill, they move up quicker.
Appreciate 2
      06-28-2016, 04:03 PM   #16
shaftwhy
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Second time and you are in advanced group! Must be a record!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yessir View Post
Second time to the track, first time with this car. I went with my track rat buddies and they ended up signing me in the advanced class so I swallowed my fear and went with it. Even though I wasn't the quickest or bravest through the turns, the car had enough power to keep me at a decent pace throughout the track with the other cars. Anyone that wanted to pass, I let them. This is actually what kept me fairly comfortable; knowing I didn't have to try and keep pace because it wasn't a race. If I felt any pressure, I moved to the side, and off the other driver went.... And yes this is the same Laguna Seca.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2016, 04:03 PM   #17
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep

Quote:
@yessir Nice track, and for having the guts to do it with other trackers. When I arrived at my track, there was an event and the cars were flying past so fast it was nerve racking if I would have been in there...

With the club I joined, you have to move from beginner group (red color) and the guy who went to stick a red magnet on my trunk couldn't figure out why it didn't stick : anyways, beginners are always alone on the track and no passing permitted. Once you move to intermediate (after maybe 6 visits), then it's mixed with the next level up with strict ruling passes.

I like this format because it safely and gradually builds one's confidence but if one shows skill, they move up quicker.
That is way it is done at a proper track day.A novice will learn nothing is he is intimidated by faster people whizzing by!
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2016, 06:53 PM   #18
shaftwhy
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
http://driver61.com is awesome! I studied all 14 tutorials today! I haven't studies so hard since high school!

Quote:
Well I am not in your club yet apparently LCMT clubs have a snobby reputation it was fun and it's great to have patient members like you and others to explain the theory as well some practical car track maintenance. Incidentally I found another site with some good videos and written material: http://driver61.com/uni/racing-line
Appreciate 1
      06-28-2016, 07:29 PM   #19
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaftwhy View Post
http://driver61.com is awesome! I studied all 14 tutorials today! I haven't studies so hard since high school!
even knowing all this theory, once you are on track it's not that easy to apply it at high speed, but that would come with practice where one starts developing reflexes and muscle memory! its just so much to take in ...

I really enjoyed MyFragileHalogen 's thread and videos where it was the first time I hear of "pinching the steering wheel" and it was fun to apply that small bit. Every corner I took, I felt CanAutM3 voices in my head "don't pinch, don't pinch, ..." and you do have the tendency to want to accelerate when the steering wheel is still locked.
Appreciate 1
      07-05-2016, 05:15 PM   #20
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
BTW, as a tidbit, ASE is where the famed Gilles Villeneuve (yes, the father), got his first race car driving lessons in the early '70s .

An old lap of mine in my E92:
CanAutM3 , Ok after few sessions, I must admit I set an amazing record. sorry had to substitute the crappy GoPro Session sound with "Dangerous" by David Guetta in the video

Last edited by aboulfad; 07-05-2016 at 05:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2016, 06:42 PM   #21
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
CanAutM3 , Ok after few sessions, I must admit I set an amazing record. sorry had to substitute the crappy GoPro Session sound with "Dangerous" by David Guetta in the video
WOW, you beat me by .0001 seconds . 0:55 with the bus stop configuration is hell of a lap . I only managed 0:58s in that config on R-comps .

A few questions though:

Why is the video in slow motion ?

How did you time your lap ?

Why does the video not show a complete lap ?

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black

Last edited by CanAutM3; 07-05-2016 at 09:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2016, 06:48 PM   #22
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
I thought you may get a laugh out of it unfortunately as we were getting ready to take off, the M-laptimer didn't want to work! I just roughly measured the video segment between the start/finish line, I was a constant 1:40s , yes slow motion but give a noob a break! And I met a fellow instructor from your snobby club his name was Adam and he said you are fast!

This was my second session and even though they are short, I am learning a bit. This instructor was more chatty and guided quite a bit throughout the track!
Appreciate 0